Hate-Motivated Assault Investigation,
Yonge Street and Davenport Road,
The Toronto Police Service Hate Crime Unit is making the public aware of an arrest made in relation to three hate-motivated assault investigations.
On Saturday, November 18, 2023, at 6:40 a.m., police investigated an assault with a weapon in the Yonge Street and Davenport Road area.
It is alleged that:
- the suspect approached a Mosque and became confrontational towards several victims who were standing outside the Mosque
- the suspect threw a rock at the victims and yelled derogatory slurs
- the suspect then became assaultive with a bike chain towards the victims
- one of the victims sustained minor injuries
It is further alleged that on Wednesday, November 15, 2023, at 7:53 a.m.:
- the female victim was walking on a cycling and pedestrian path in the Fort York Boulevard and Spadina Avenue area.
- the victim was wearing a hijab
- a male suspect approached the victim
- the suspect made derogotory statements to the victim
- the suspect then sprayed the victim in the face with an unknown substance and fled the scene
- the victim was transported to hospital and treated for minor injuries
It is further alleged that on Wednesday, November 15, 2023, at 4:25 a.m.:
- the male victim was driving a cab in the Front Street and Yonge Street area
- the victim rolled the window down, and asked the suspect if he needed a ride
- the suspect asked the victim if he was Muslim
- the suspect then sprayed the victim in the face with an unknown substance
See previous release.
Chandler Marshall, 28, of Toronto has been arrested and charged with:
- four counts of Assault with a Weapon
- two counts of Assault
- two counts of Carry Concealed Weapon
- two counts of Mischief Under
- two counts of Administer Noxious Substance
- two counts of Possession of a Prohibited Weapon
- two counts of Weapons Dangerous
- Uttering Threats
He is scheduled to appear in court at the Ontario Court of Justice, 2201 Finch Avenue West, on Monday, November 20, 2023, at 10 a.m., in room 106.
Check out our podcast, 24 Shades of Blue with Obie & Ax.