Attempt/Threaten Suicide Information on CPIC
CPIC is the national database accessible to all Canadian law enforcement agencies. Special Interest Police (SIP) entries for Attempt/Threaten Suicide are entered to CPIC to communicate relevant information to police agencies for public safety purposes. The Toronto Police Service will enter a SIP for Attempt/Threaten Suicide to CPIC if one or more of the following criteria is met:
the suicide attempt involved the threat of serious violence or harm, or the actual use of serious violence or harm, directed at other individuals;
- the suicide attempt could reasonably be considered to be an intentional provocation of lethal response by the police;
- the individual involved had a history of serious violence or harm to others;
- the suicide attempt occurred while the individual was in police custody; or
- the individual is apprehended under Section 17 of the Mental Health Act and a Form 1 has been issued.
Members of the public can receive written confirmation as to whether they currently have a suicide-related SIP entry on CPIC by submitting a request in writing to the Manager, Records Management Services, Toronto Police Service. A letter will be mailed to the requestor confirming if a suicide-related SIP entry is on CPIC or not. Members of the public can also submit a request for a copy of their police report/occurrence through the Access and Privacy Section of the Toronto Police Service.
Individuals have the right to apply for the removal of their suicide-related entries from CPIC at any time.
The Toronto Police Service has implemented a reconsideration process for a member of the public to request SIP information for Attempt/Threaten Suicide to be removed from CPIC.
CPIC – Attempt/Threaten Suicide Entry Reconsideration Panel
Records Management Services
Toronto Police Service
40 College Street
Toronto,ON M5G 2J3
- An individual should make a request to have their Attempt/Threaten Suicide information removed from CPIC by submitting a request in writing to:
- The Reconsideration Panel shall consist of the following members:
- Manager of Records Management Services (RMS)
- Assistant Manager of RMS-Operations
- Senior CPIC Specialist of RMS-Operations
- In addition to the Attempt/Threaten Suicide criteria listed above ((a)-(e)), the Reconsideration Panel will take the following criteria into account during their review:
- date of the incident(s) leading to the entry;
- the age of the applicant at the time of the incident;
- all information available to the police service that relates to the applicant;
- details of the incident including;
- any written information provided by the applicant including supporting documentation; and
- Information provided by the officers who had contact with the individual at the time of that incident, if available.
- The Reconsideration Panel will also accept and consider any relevant information provided by the applicant or their representative.
- The applicant will be notified in writing of the Panel’s decision. Where the Panel decides to refuse a request for removal, the written decision will include reasons based on the information and criteria referred to in sections 3. and 4.