Get Your Court Documents
The Document Service Section serves various types of court documents:
Subpoenas, a document that compels a person to attend court proceedings as a witness in order to give testimony
Summons, a document issued by a court, agency, board or commission, or another person, requiring a person to attend court
Provincial Offence Ticket (POT), an electronically generated or handwritten ticket alleging the commission of a provincial offence to be resolved by payment of a set fine or election to attend court
Notice to Parent, a legal requirement under the Youth Criminal Justice Act whereby a parent, adult relative, or adult person who is known to assist a youth is notified in writing that the youth has been charged with a criminal or provincial offence
The Toronto Police Service (TPS) provides two different methods of service.
- Personal Service is when an officer directly provides that person with the court document in-person
- Address Service is when an officer deems that a court document recipient cannot conveniently be found, and leaves it for him/her at his/her at their home with a person who appears to be at least sixteen years of age
What to do if I receive a TPS Important Notice?
If a TPS important notice has been left at an address, a Document Services Officer, attempted to serve a document but you were not available at the time. It is important to arrange to receive your court documents as soon as possible as it relates to a court proceeding and could result in a criminal charge or fines if you ignore the document.
- You will be able to arrange for delivery or pick-up of the court document by calling Document Services at 416-808-7200 (Monday to Friday 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.) Be prepared to provide a document number.
- Make sure to call prior to attending Police Headquarters to make sure your document is available for pick up. You will be asked to provide a piece of photo identification.
- If the person named in the Important Notice is unknown to you, please call Document Services.
Contact Document Services
Monday to Friday 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
(Phone Inquiries until 8:30 p.m.)