When to Report

The Ontario Highway Traffic Act requires that all collisions where persons are injured, or a combined damage valued at more than $2,000 to vehicles or property, or damage to any private, municipal or highway property be reported to police as soon as possible.

Is Your Collision Outside of Toronto?

To report a colliison outside Toronto, please contact the police service that is responsible for that area.

If your collision has occurred on a 400-series highway (such Highway 427 or 401) please contact the Ontario Provincial Police.

When Police Will Attend a Collision

  • The collision involves a fatality
  • The collision involves a serious personal injury where a person is transported to a hospital
  • Criminal activity is involved in the collision (e.g. impaired driving, stolen vehicle, assault)
  • Collisions involved with the transporting of dangerous goods
  • The collision involves a person who is uninsured or is a suspended driver (Simply not having an insurance card does not necessarily mean the vehicle is not insured, these collisions can be referred to the CRC)
  • The collision involves damage to private, municipal or highway property
  • The collision involves cyclists or pedestrian who have been injured. In the event the cyclist or pedestrian do not remain at the scene of the collision, it can subsequently be reported at a Collision Reporting Centre (CRC).
  • Collisions that occur between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., where any vehicle is not drivable

If the collision you are involved in in does not meet the above criteria, but does meet the minimum requirements as set out by the Ontario Highway Traffic Act to report the collision to police, you MUST report your collision to a CRC. Read the steps below.

What to Do If You're In a Collision

  1. Establish if anyone is hurt? If anyone has suffered an injury resulting in the person being transported to a hospital or there is any evidence of criminality, Call 9-1-1 right away.
  2. Take a Breath. Keep in mind that this is a stressful situation for everyone involved and to remain calm.
  3. Clear the road. If it is safe to do so and the vehicles can be moved, move all involved vehicles to an area of safety, clearing the road for other drivers.
  4. Assess damage. If the involved vehicles have over $2,000 combined damage you must report the collision to police immediately to a Collision Reporting Centre (locations below). If damage is very minor, please contact your insurance company to talk about your options.
  5. Exchange information. Record where the collision occurred, the licence plate number, as well as the year, make, model and colour of the other involved vehicle(s). Exchange driver licence and insurance policy and company information, ask for and record the driver's licence information to confirm the driver’s full name and address and also obtain a phone number from the other involved individual(s).
  6. Take photos. Taking a picture of each other’s information on your cell phone is a quick and accurate way to exchange information in what is a stressful situation. Take photos of the collision scene and damage to your vehicle too.
  7. Talk to witnesses. Exchange information with any witnesses so police can contact them if necessary.
  8. Report the Collision. As soon as possible, bring your vehicle to the Collision Reporting Centre most convenient to you along with your driver’s licence, vehicle ownership and insurance information.

What is a Collision Reporting Centre?

The Collision Reporting Centres in Toronto are partnerships between the Toronto Police Service and Accident Support Services International that assists motorists, cyclists and pedestrians in reporting motor vehicle collisions that they have been involved in. The Toronto East and North Collision Reporting Centres are open 7 days a week from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.  The Cyclist/Pedestrian Collision Reporting Centre is open Monday to Friday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Contact East Collision Reporting Centre

8:00 a.m. to Midnight
Seven days a week

39 Howden Road
Scarborough M1R 3C7


Contact North Collision Reporting Centre

8:00 a.m. to Midnight
Seven days a week

113 Toryork Drive 
North York  M9L 1X9


Cyclist & Pedestrian Only Collision Reporting

A pedestrian or cyclist can attend any of the two above Collision Reporting Centres. This centre is to report a collision with injuries that do not require immediate medical attention. If you are seriously hurt, call 9-1-1.

Cyclists/Pedestrians can also report at a new collision reporting centre at the Traffic Services unit station at 9 Hanna Avenue in Liberty Village.It is also operated by Accident Support Services International and available from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday to Friday (excluding holidays).

Cyclists/Pedestrians will be able to begin reports online at accsupport/PedCylistApp/home.

All reports started online must be finalized at any of the Collision Reporting Centres during hours of operation.  The report is not considered complete until the reportee has presented valid ID to the customer service representative.

When You Get Towed

ALL vehicles being towed from the collision scene MUST go directly to a CRC location.

A flat fee of $310.44 plus tax will be charged by the towing company from any street or highway after a collision. This rate is established by Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 545 and applies for towing directly to the Collision Reporting Centre.  This does not cover any subsequent tow that is needed.  This initial fee is paid directly by the Collision Reporting Centre and there is no need to pay the driver.

Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 545 forbids tow truck operators from recommending a body shop or other repair facility to you. Under Chapter 545, if requested, tow truck operators are required to show you a copy of the rate schedule they have filed with the City of Toronto.

Choosing a Towing Service
  • You have the option to use the tow truck at the scene OR choose another tow truck of your choice
  • Ask to see the tow truck schedule of rates before you enter into any agreement to tow your vehicle
  • You can choose the body shop of your choice to repair your vehicle.  If in doubt, contact your insurance company for further instructions.

Read more about Towing Practices & Contracts