The Professional Standards unit is responsible for promoting and supporting professionalism within the organization and its members, in order to strengthen public confidence and co-operation within the Toronto community.
Professional Standards is a portion of Corporate Command. The unit is charged with the responsibility of promoting and supporting professionalism throughout the organization, which includes the practices, conduct, appearance, ethics & integrity of its members to strengthen public confidence, and co-operation within the community.
Accordingly, in addition to ensuring compliance with the Police Services Act of Ontario and the Toronto Police Service Governance and Procedures, Professional Standards, under the direction of the Staff Superintendent, is responsible for
- Managing the activities of the Professional Standards-Investigative Unit, the Professional Standards-Risk Management Unit and Legal Services
- Administering the awards program for police officers, civilian members, members of the community, external organizations and other groups
- Liasing with the Ontario Civilian Police Commission
- Providing training to Service members and assisting with community education programs
- Liaising with Office of the Independent Police Review Director
- Providing a liaison function with the Provincial Special Investigations Unit (SIU), along with conducting & co-ordinating the administrative investigations dictated by O. Reg. 267/10 in relation to the invocation of the SIU mandate
Professional Standards is responsible for the administration of the Awards Program. Recognition through the granting of awards has been a tradition of the Toronto Police Service since its inception.
The Awards Program makes it possible to formally recognize Service members and members of the community who have contributed to policing initiatives which enhance the image or operation of the Service, and the community.
15-20 Body-Worn Camera
15-20 Body-Worn Cameras Appendix A
Hate the Hate -- Report the Crime
Please note that some documents might not render correctly in your browser. For best experience, download/save the document to your desktop first.