Using our roadways is a shared responsibility. Here are a few things to remember as a pedestrian:
- Stay alert. – All road users have a responsibility to focus on moving safely
- Put away distractions such, as a cell phone, in order to focus on getting to your destination safely
- Intersections – Take a second look, drivers and pedestrians should make eye contact with one another to communicate and ensure that you’re being seen
- Look both ways when crossing the street, any street, even if it is a one-way street
- Make eye contact with drivers before moving past them and watch for moving vehicles in driveways and lanes
- Where possible cross the road at a signalized intersection or a designated pedestrian crosswalk. Crossing Mid-Block is a high risk. Before entering the roadway ensure that you have the ability to safely cross. You must expect the unexpected and be prepared to react. Focus on driving and avoid distractions.
- Teach and review traffic safety lessons with your children
- Stop, look, and listen for traffic. Be cognizant of vehicles backing up.