Information Access Service Counter
To book an appointment and see current availability, please visit the following link: Toronto Police Service Appointment Booker
Please be advised that the results for Level 1 Criminal Record Checks and Level 2 Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Checks are emailed to the applicant in a digital PDF form. Should you require a paper copy, please indicate this by writing HARD COPY in the “Reason for Request” area of the application, and a hard copy will be sent via post to your mailing address.
The Toronto Police Service (TPS) provides three types of police reference checks, commonly known as background checks:
- Criminal Record Check, which indicates any criminal convictions
- Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, which indicates any criminal convictions as well as any outstanding entries and charges
- Vulnerable Sector Screening, which is intended for individuals seeking employment or volunteer opportunities with vulnerable persons. This search indicates any criminal convictions, outstanding charges or warrants and certain pardoned offences.
If you're unsure of what type of check you require, contact the agency/organization requesting the check so they can clarify. The Toronto Police Service (TPS) does not make the decision on behalf of the organization.
The TPS will also conduct police record checks to enable various other services:
- Name Change, you may be required to submit a police record check with your Ontario application for a name change
- Record Suspension, the TPS will perfom a local records check for residents of Toronto as part of their Pardon application
- Non-Parental Custody Check, which allows a police record check for people seeking custody of a child
As of Nov. 23, 2022, we are currently processing applications:
- Criminal Record Checks received on Nov. 9, 2022
- Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Checks received on Nov. 11, 2022
- Vulnerable Sector Screenings received on Nov. 14, 2022
Information Access Fees
Criminal Record Check (Clearance Letter) - Employment
|Criminal Record Check (Clearance Letter) - Volunteer (with Letter of Volunteer)||FREE|
|Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check - Employment||$20*|
|Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check - Volunteer (with Letter of Volunteer)||FREE|
|Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Reference Check) - Employment||$65*|
|Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Reference Check) - Volunteer||$20|
|Additional Copy of any Background Check||$4.67|
|Record Suspension - Local Record Check||$45|
|Name Change - Local Record Check||$45|
|Non-Parent Custody Record Check||$15|
*Expedited service is currently unavailable.
*This administrative fee does not apply to individuals under the age of 18.
Criminal Record Check
A Criminal Record Check/Clearance Letter is a document that illustrates an applicant has no criminal convictions or findings of guilt in the National Repository of Criminal Records maintained by the RCMP.View
Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check
Checks for applicants seeking employment or volunteering with organizations that require a criminal records check, along with a search of outstanding entries and charges.View
Vulnerable Sector Check
A Vulnerable Sector Screening is intended for those who are seeking employment or volunteer opportunities with vulnerable persons. A Vulnerable Sector Screening provides a summary of criminal convictions, outstanding charges or warrants, or any pardoned offences.View